An employee at the Chinese consulate in Manchester said he was “choked” by a protester who “posed a serious threat” to his life when riots broke out outside the building during a demonstration.

Speaking at a media conference organized by the Chinese Consulate and Embassy in the UK, Consul Gao Liangjia said he was attacked by a man wearing a black combat glove on his left hand.

In a statement, he said: “I was standing at the front gate when suddenly a protester knocked me down by running on my stomach.

“Then he knocked off my glasses and attacked me in the face.

“In a split second, he grabbed me by the collars and forced his knees on my back. I struggled, but to no avail. It was difficult for me to breathe and I lost consciousness.

“When I came to life, I saw how the police took the attacker out of the territory.”

Gao Lianjia also said he had injuries to his forehead and right knee, as well as concussion, dizziness, numbness in his head and pain under his ribs.

His comments came just over a week after scenes at a Hong Kong pro-democracy rally outside the consulate on October 16.

Use Chrome for a more accessible video player

What really happened at the Chinese consulate?

Greater Manchester Police (GMP) are investigating alleged attack on Bob Chana man who was photographed being dragged into the consulate grounds before being punched and kicked.

He says he was left with cuts and bruises all over his body.

Senior diplomat accused of participating and pulling Mr. Chan’s hair also spoke at the press conference, but refused to comment specifically on the incident.

Instead, Zheng Siyuan, the consul general, criticized the way the police and the British government responded to the incident.

Protester Bob Chan says he was left with cuts and bruises all over his body.  Photo: AP
Bob Chan says he was left with cuts and bruises all over his body. Photo: AP

“We hoped the police would support us, but they didn’t,” he said.

“It is in such circumstances that we have taken measures to protect the dignity of our country.”

Zheng Xiyuan also showed reporters videos he said showed protesters had attacked consulate staff, including footage of them “beating staff and then running away” and one protester “grabbing an employee without letting go.” .

When asked whether he had given the video to the police, as well as statements about the attack on the consul, he could not answer, calling it a “very special legal issue”.

A consulate source later told Sky News they were seeking legal advice.

GMP said it was still in the process of “collecting, verifying and assessing evidence from various sources” and would not comment further.