A man has been arrested on suspicion of assault after Sheffield United captain Billy Sharpe was apparently attacked Nottingham Forest the fans poured out on the field at the end Sky Bet Championship semifinals of the playoffs.

Nottinghamshire Police Chief Inspector Paul Hennessy said: “A 31-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of assault in connection with the incident. He remains in custody and will be questioned by staff.

“Our investigations into the circumstances of the incident continue. We have spoken to an interested player and we are working with both clubs to support us in our investigation. ”

The Blades captain was withdrawn from the field in the second leg due to injury and stood on the sidelines after Forrest won a dramatic 3-2 penalty shootout after a 3-3 draw, leading to an invasion of the field on City Ground.

Footage posted on social media shows one fan running up to the 36-year-old former Forest striker and knocking him to the ground.

Forrest condemned the incident and said in a statement that they “will work with the authorities to find out the whereabouts of the person” and the offender will face a “life ban” from entering the club.

Brice Samba, created when it counted for Nottingham Forest (Mike Egerton / Pennsylvania)

(PA wire)

The incident overshadowed Forrest’s victory, where the Reds ’victory secured the final showdown of the playoffs against Huddersfield on Sunday, May 29 at Wembley Stadium, and a chance to return for the first time since 1999.

However, they were pushed back to the end, wasting the advantage of two goals. After leading 2-1 in the first game, Brennan Johnson gave them a cushion, but goals in the second half of the Blade duo Morgan Gibbs-White and John Fleck drew in extra time and then a penalty.

Brice Samba, who later made a special point save from Iliman Ndiaye, then prevented point hits Oliver NorwoodConor Gurichain and Gibbs-White to the delight of the crowded crowd.

Steve Cooper promises to work “even more” after the victory (Mike Eggerton / PA)

(PA wire)

Forest head coach Steve Cooperwho ran the club when they were at the bottom of the second tier last September, said: “To get to the semi-finals of the playoffs in two matches, you have to do everything.

“We managed to go through a lot. I would like to win the game 3-1 and leave, but the fact that we did it the way it is means that we are now better prepared to reach the final.

“I promise you that I will work even harder than I worked to get it. Without a weekend, I am first at the landfill (Wednesday) and will be ready.

“Don’t go into something and don’t try to be the best, there’s no point in just competing, especially in this football club – it deserves the best.”


Previous articleLord Rami Ranger accuses Pakistan in British parliament of religious persecution
Next articleCovid: About 60,000 NHS workers living with PTS after the pandemic