Nick Cave’s son Jethro Lazenby has died at the age of 30, the musician said today – seven years after the star’s 15-year-old son Arthur fell off a cliff in Brighton.
Jethro, who lived in Melbourne, was released on bail two days before his death after he was jailed for leaving his mother bruised and bleeding after putting her knee in face during a quarrel over cigarettes.
“With great sadness I can confirm that my son Jethro has passed away,” Cave said in a statement this afternoon. “We will be grateful for the privacy of the family at this time.”
The Australian singer, best known as the frontman of the band Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, first suffered from a tragedy in July 2015 when Arthur fell from a height of 60 feet off a cliff in Owingdin, near Brighton. He was taking the hallucinogenic drug LSD, the investigation later revealed.
Jetro was born in 1991 to his mother-model from Melbourne Bo Lazenby, who at the time was in a relationship with Cave.
On Thursday, he was released on bail from an investigative center in Melbourne after a judge ruled on drug treatment and avoided contact with her for two years.
“I tell you that it is in your best interest to participate in all the support services I have created for you,” said Magistrate Donna Bakas.
“It is very important that your path to rehabilitation is much more positive and therefore you will be less at risk for society in general and for your mother in particular.”
Cave has two more sons: 30-year-old Luke from his first marriage to Brazilian journalist Vivian Carneiro and 21-year-old Earl from his marriage to Susie Bick.
Nick Cave today confirmed the death of his son Jetre Lazenby, with whom he was seen in 2006. He said: “With great sadness I can confirm that my son Jethro has passed away.” We would be grateful for the privacy of the family at this time. ”
Jetra was born in 1991 to a mother-model from Melbourne Bo Lazenby, who at the time was in a relationship with Cave.
The Australian singer, best known as the frontman of the band Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, first suffered from a tragedy in July 2015 when Arthur fell 60 feet to his death from a cliff in Owingdin, near Brighton.
In 2007, Jethro starred in the 2011 films Carabora and My Little Princess, starring Isabelle Huppert, but suffered from personal problems for several years after battling mental health.
Although he used his father’s name to run his own modeling career, Jethro said in the past that he hadn’t met Cave until he was seven.
The 30-year-old was jailed earlier this year after the attack on his mother, Bo Lazenby, in Melbourne.
She found her restless son at the front door just after midnight on March 7 before he persuaded her to let him stay the night.
The next morning the couple got into an argument, as a result of which Jethro put his mother on his knees in the face, causing bleeding and bruising.
He pleaded guilty to one count of unlawful assault and violation of court orders after other charges were dropped following a deal with the prosecutor. Herald Sun. reported.
Jetra’s lawyer, Sean Gatas, said he was diagnosed with schizophrenia, and that influenced his opinion.
Mr Gatas asked to serve his sentence and release him from prison, but Magistrate Donna Bakas replied: “I’m not sure I agree with you.”
Jethro was jailed earlier this year after the attack on his mother, Bo Lazenby, in Melbourne
Cave with his wife Susie at the British premiere of “The True Story of the Kelly Gang” at Picturehouse Central on February 17, 2020 in London
She noted his “significant criminal history”, which includes a series of violent attacks on his girlfriend in 2018, as a result of which he spent time in prison.
The court heard Cave’s son shout three times, “I’ll kill you,” holding the woman.
Cave with Arthur (right) in 2012 and his other son, Earl, during the premiere of The Hobbit in London in 2012
Cave with his wife Susie at a London dinner to raise money for an HIV charity campaign