Billionaire Elon Musk, who is going to buy Twitter, has said he will lift the platform’s “stupid” ban on former US President Donald Trump if its acquisition takes place.
The tech mogul said: “Permanent bans should be extremely rare and really reserved for accounts that are bots or spam, fraudulent accounts. I think banning Donald Trump was wrong.
“I think it was a mistake because it alienated much of the country and ultimately did not lead to Donald Trump not having the right to vote.”
“I would lift the permanent ban,” Mr. Musk added. “I don’t own Twitter yet. So it’s not something that’s bound to happen because if I don’t own Twitter?”
Mr. Musk, who last week secured $ 7 billion from new investors for its $ 44 billion takeovercontinued: “I think the permanent bans are just fundamentally undermining the credibility of Twitter as a city square where everyone can have their say. I think it was a morally bad decision [to ban him] and fools in the extreme. “
The boss of Tesla and SpaceX claimed that his disagreement with the permanent bans was shared by Twitter co-founder and former CEO Jack Dorsey.
Speaking to the Financial Times at the summit, Mr Musk said Mr. Trump “will now be on Truth Social [another social media platform] like most of the right in the United States, and so I think it could end up, frankly, worse than having a single forum where everyone can discuss. ”
Responding to Mr Musk’s remarks, Mr Dorsey wrote on Twitter: “I agree. There are exceptions (CSE, illegal behavior, spam or network manipulation, etc.), but in general permanent bans are ours. fail and don’t work. “
White House administration Joe Biden said the private sector company must decide who will or will not be admitted to their platform.
The “worst” banned trolls on Twitter see their way back through Mask
Musk secures £ 7bn from new investors to pay for Twitter takeover
Musk and Twitter have reached an agreement to absorb $ 44 billion
Mr Trump was permanently banned from Twitter in January 2021 after an attack by his supporters on US Capitol resulting in several deaths.
The technical company said it made the decision following the January 6 riots “because of the risk of further incitement to violence.”
At the time, Mr. Trump had more than 80 million subscribers on the platform.
But as soon as Mr. Musk announced that he was interested in capturing the campaign in part to make it a platform for free speech, questions arose as to whether he would invite Trump back.
On Tuesday, the 50-year-old businessman said that if someone writes on Twitter “something is illegal … then maybe there should be a timeout, a temporary suspension or that particular tweet should be invisible or have very limited activity.”
Last month, Mr Trump said he would not return to the campaign if he had the chance.
“No, I’m not going back to Twitter,” former CNBC president Joe Kernen said.
“I’ll be at Truth Social for a week. It’s on schedule. We have a lot of people signed up. I like Elon Musk. I really like him. He is a wonderful person. We did a lot for Twitter when I was at the White House. I was disappointed with the way I was treated on Twitter. I will not return to Twitter, ”Mr Trump said.