Slap Will Smith: Chris Rock May Lead Oscar Ceremony Next Year, Tease ABC President
- 57-year-old Chris Rock could become the host of the Oscars “2023” after receiving a slap from 53-year-old Will Smith
- ABC President Craig Erwich said he is open to the comedian who hosts the show
- Will Smith was suspended from the ceremony for 10 years
- Actor “King Richard” took offense at Rock’s bald joke about Jada Pinkett-Smith
This was announced by ABC President Craig Erwich Deadline that he is willing to involve Rocco as a presenter.
He promised that next year’s show, scheduled for March 12, 2023, would be “even better” than last year.
Will Smith was banned from attending the ceremony for 10 years after he attacked Rocco at a March awards ceremony for making a bald joke at the expense of Smith’s wife, Judy Pinkett-Smith.
ABC President Craig Erwich says Chris Rock could become the head of the Oscars in 2023
Chris Rock toured the world during his Ego Death tour, and on Thursday at the Royal Albert Hall in London he discussed Will Smith, abortion, his life dates and Megan Markle.
The network president said he regretted the violence tonight, but said otherwise it was a successful show.
“I appreciated the Oscars: it was a really successful year for the show. Obviously, there was a lot of controversy, which overshadowed a lot of positive things in the show, but I was very pleased with the program, ”he told the trade publication.
“Even before this very unpleasant moment, the show started year after year, and we’re back in great shape.”
Erwich kept quiet about the fact that the controversy, which was a slap in the face, was one of the main conversations in the show.
“It was the biggest rollback of any show this season,” he told Deadline. “If you look at what they were trying to do that really bring entertainment back into the program, they had three amazing presenters, music videos and incredible music performances, I thought it was a great way for the show to get its place back on the mantle.
ABC President Craig Erwich has said he is ready for comedian Chris Rock, who is leading the Oscars in 2023.
There is always something to learn, and we will try to do even better next year. “
Rock firmly refused to talk about the incident, only casually mentioning it during his world tour as part of the Ego Death comedy tour, which is ongoing now.
“People expect me to talk nonsense **, I’m not going to talk about it now,” he told a recent crowd at the Royal Albert Hall in London.
At the same event, he hinted that he would not discuss it until he was “paid”, which, as he hinted, would eventually happen “on Netflix”.
Smith, on the other hand, has issued a public apology and is apparently going to therapy because of the attack.
He resigned from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, saying: “The list of those I have offended is long and includes Chris, his family, many of my dear friends and relatives, everyone present and the global audience at home.”