OTTAWA, May 9 (Xinhua) – The Competition Bureau of Canada said Monday it is seeking to block a proposed Rogers acquisition of Shaw, the country’s two largest telecommunications companies.

In a press release, the observer said that on Monday he challenged the merger, demanding an order from the Competition Tribunal to prevent its continuation and a ban on stopping the parties from closing the deal until her application is considered.

“The effort is to protect Canadians from higher prices, poorer quality services and less choice, especially in wireless services,” the bureau said.

On March 13, 2021, Rogers agreed to acquire Shaw as part of a deal worth approximately C $ 26 billion (US $ 20.8 billion), including debt.

Rogers is Canada’s largest wireless service provider, serving approximately 11.3 million subscribers nationwide. Shaw, which provides wireless services to more than 2 million customers in Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia, is the fourth largest provider of wireless services and the closest competitor to Rogers.

The Competition Bureau argues that the removal of Shaw as a competitor threatens to undo the significant progress it has made by introducing more competition to the already concentrated wireless market, where Rogers, Bell and Telus (Big Three) serve about 87 percent more.

After extensive investigation, the bureau determined that competition between Rogers and Shaw had already declined. His position is that if the proposed merger is allowed, the damage will continue and may worsen, the press release said.

http://www.unitedkingdomnews.net/news/272545079/canadian-authorities-seek-to-block-merger-of-two-telecommunications-giants

Previous articleUK government: Rwandan migrants announced intention to deport this week Great Britain | News
Next articleWorld Cup hero Jason Robinson cuts through a “special” attempt by London’s Irish teenager Henry Arundel