Camelot’s lawyers warn that an impending lawsuit could hit “hundreds of thousands” of good deeds funded by the National Lottery
Good reason ?: Camelot’s lawyers said that the Gambling Commission asks the court to “borrow” in this case
Camelot’s lawyers warn that an impending lawsuit could affect “hundreds of thousands” of good deeds funded by the National Lottery.
The lawsuit, which is due to be heard later this year in a lawsuit, could mean that good reasons “suffer” for up to ten years, says Lord Pannik QC, representing Camelot.
At a previous hearing last week, Pannik urged the judge to consider “the risk of harm to the public interest.”
Camelot’s lawyers said that the Gambling Commission is asking the court to “borrow” in this case – that over the decision to conclude a final contract with the newcomer Allwyn Entertainment. Camelot lost his license earlier this year.
Last week, The Mail on Sunday revealed that the former Camelot leader had warned that the dispute could spend up to £ 1 billion from the central fund on good causes.
Camelot, which has run the National Lottery since its inception 28 years ago, set out its arguments during a two-day “balance of convenience” hearing last week.
This week, a High Court judge is due to decide whether compensation will be appropriate for the camelot.
At the heart of her case is a claim that the commission decided to appoint Olvin “very wrongly.”
Camelot said there was a risk that “the national lottery would be run for ten years by an illegally appointed operator.” Since the next license was granted, the regulator has tried to infiltrate the new operator through a “permit agreement”. This will allow Allwyn, formerly known as Sazka and backed by Czech billionaire Karel Komarek, to continue his plan to adopt the lottery until 2024.
Alvin has promised that good deeds will receive £ 38 billion in ten years. The regulator claims that Camelot does not lose financially from the change of operator, because “their losses are quantifiable and will be paid by the defendants in the event of any error with the award.” But Pannik said it was a “particularly strong feature” of the dispute – because to cover the damage “getting funds available for good causes is a serious detriment to the public interest”.
Former Camelot CEO Lady Diane Thompson entered the issue before the hearing last week by writing a letter to the Gambling Commission.
She said postponing the transfer of the ten-year license is a “relatively simple solution” that would “avoid any obscene and unnecessary haste in lawsuits and eliminate the risk of good deeds.”
In March, the Gambling Commission named Olvin the best applicant.
The Gambling Commission said: “We regret Camelot’s decision to sue following a very successful competition to obtain a fourth National Lottery license. The competition and our evaluation were conducted honestly and legally in accordance with our statutory obligations, and we are confident that the court will come to this conclusion. ”
Alvin said he “fully complies with the requirements of the Gambling Commission on all aspects of the process.”
Camelot declined to comment.