England defender Ellis Genge dominated the first half
Australia: (7) 17
Trying to: Stupid, Kerevi Handles: Lolezio Cons: Lolezio 2
England: (19) 25
Trying to: B Vunipola Handles: Farrell 6 Cons: Farrell

England produced an aggressive and resilient performance to beat Australia in the second Test in Brisbane and take the three-match series to the decider.

Billy Vunipolo headed over for an early try and Owen Farrell added four penalties as England led 19-0.

Taniela Tupou reduced England’s lead just before half-time and Sam Kerevi’s try piled on the pressure.

England rallied and Farrell’s sixth penalty allowed them to equalize and end a four-game losing streak.

Eddie Jones’ side required a much improved display after a a disappointing 30-28 loss Australia with 14 men in the first Test.

The Pack started superbly to dominate the first half and the team had enough composure to regain momentum after sustained pressure from Australia in the second half.

They now travel to Sydney for the decider next Saturday, with the Ella-Mobbs Cup still up for grabs.

The mighty England dominated the first half

Replica Ellis Genge set the tone for England by bulldozing past Australia captain Michael Hooper in the opening minutes.

Tough tackling from the tourists gave them a chance to take over the game and they converted the territory into an early try when Vunipolo was cleared for the line from the England line-out.

As the Wallabies were rocked by England’s ferocity, Farrell punished the hosts with two penalties.

Continuing their relentless pace, Marcus Smith looked to release debutant Tommy Freeman, but his cross was headed forward by Isaiah Perez, who was sent into the box for a tackle.

Jack Nowell ran out of space on the opposite flank as England stretched Australia’s defense to the limit.

Farrell kicked two more penalties, but Jones’ side needed another try to underline their dominance.

Instead, Australia entered England’s 22nd for the first time and Taniel Tupou, nicknamed ‘The Thor of Tanganyika’ because of his incredible size and power, crossed the line to give the hosts a lifeline.

England suffered another blow before the break when Itohe lock Mara went off to be assessed for a head injury following a collision.

England will get the job done

Farrell added another penalty early in the second half, but the Wallabies, like in the first Test, showed their flair for scoring, holding the ball phase after phase before releasing Kerevi to stroll down the line.

Smith was adjudged to have deliberately cheated as Australia piled on the pressure, reducing England’s lead to five points with a penalty.

Australia, despite losing four players to injury in the first hour, dominated the game, forcing England into frantic defending to prevent Tom Wright from completing a 60-yard kick and chase.

But with Smith back on the field and a new front row, England regained control. Nowell beat two defenders and fed Freddie Steward who was stopped yards from the line and only further desperate defending prevented Billy Vunipolea from scoring a second try.

England had to settle for another penalty from Farrell, but his strike extended their lead to a vital eight points, enough to end Australia’s hopes of an unlikely victory.


Australia: Petaya; Wright, Paisami, Kerevi, Karoibete; Lalesio, White; Bell, Paretzky, Tupou, Philip, Neville, Leota, Hooper (captain), Valetini

Replacements: Fainga’a, Sio, Sleeper, Frost, Samu, Gordon, O’Connor, Perez

England: Steward; Nowell, Porter, Farrell, Freeman; Smith, Van Purtvleet; Genge, George, Stewart, Itohe, Hill, Laws (capt), Underhill, B Vunipola

Replacements: Cowen-Dickie, M. Vunipolo, Hayes, Chesham, Ludlam, Joseph, Kerr, Arundel

Judge: Andrew Brace (Ireland)

The banner image that reads around the BBC is blueFooter is Blue


Previous articleAndrea Jenkins: Education Secretary on why she made a rude gesture outside Downing Street | Politics news
Next articleWAG Alex Pike is opening a beauty clinic in America